Whenever you fantasize about an ideal home for you, all you desire is appealing interiors and a backyard with lush green grass and butterflies hovering over the ethereal flowers you plant.
Who wouldn’t want a yard or lawn in their house with grass, that imparts the belongingness of mother nature, which your luxurious bed would fail to provide?
For growing healthy grass in your lawn, only water and sunlight won’t suffice.
That would make the grass grow, but you never know whether it turns out to be too damp, loose, or too dry.
Thus, like your body needs nutrients besides basic food, the grass in your lawn needs supplementary nutrients like Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium.
This can be done with organic manures, but fertilizers boost the growth to a considerable extent.
Manures take time, and sometimes, they might not even suit every grass type.
Thus, you would want to buy an excellent fertilizer for your lawn to grow healthy and lush green grass.
Which fertilizer to choose?
You will probably be baffled with the options in the market, claiming to be the best ones for your lawn.
But price and performance inconsistencies make the products different, which makes it important on your behalf to know the best fertilizer for your lawn.
|Miracle-Gro Water Soluble All Purpose Plant Food||
|SUPERthrive VI30148 Plant Vitamin Solution||
|Jobe’s Organics 09521 Purpose Fertilizer||
|Osmocote 274850 Smart-Release Plant Food||
|Worm Castings Organic Fertilizer||
|Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed||
|Miracle-Gro Water Soluble Lawn Food||
|Scotts Turf Builder Thick’R Lawn Sun and Shade||
|Scotts Green Max Lawn Food||
|Advanced Lawn Food Natural Liquid Fertilizer||
10 Best Fertilizers for Your Lawn
Here are some of the best fertilizers that would be the best suited for your lawn-
Miracle-Gro Water Soluble All Purpose Plant Food
This is one of the best fertilizers your lawn will ever need for growing lush green grass and feeding the plants with sufficient nutrients. It will make the plants bigger and healthier and will nourish them throughout the season.
You need to feed your plants every 1-2 weeks to grow bigger and healthier plants. You can use it with a feeder or a watering can. This fertilizer is apt for any plant, grass, shrubs, tree, houseplants, perennials, vegetable plants, and flowering plants, making it multi-purpose.
Miracle-Grow Plant Food is a must for flowering and edible plants, and will not cause burning if the usage adheres to directions mentioned. Just make sure you don’t apply it directly on the base and leaves of the plant. Otherwise, it would cause burning.
- Reliable product with guaranteed results
- Small quantity is effective for more growth
- Works well with grass as well as any plant
- Performance isn’t affected by environment or city dust
- Convenient usage
- You might not be satisfied with the quantity and price of the product
- Overuse can result in deterioration of plants
- Results might vary in different plants and seasons
SUPERthrive VI30148 Plant Vitamin Solution
It is a non-toxic, vitamin-infused solution that can be applied to your lawn for guaranteed growth in plants and grass. It is advised to be used by many agrostologists and nursery experts for boosting plant growth and texture.
It is used by gardeners and professionals to restore liveliness and promote chemical balance in the soil. It is apt for planting saplings or saving mature trees. SUPERthrive can be used as a complementary product to foster healthy landscaping, green turf, edible plants, trees, and all types of grasses.
It makes the roots stronger and firmer. It is an apt fertilizer for balancing the chemicals and restoring plant vigor. You can spray the solution directly or dilute it with water.
If you consider hydro-seeding or hydroponics, it will work wonders.
Here are some merits and pitfalls of using the product-
- It reduces transplant shock
- Balances the chemical composition of the soil to promote plant growth
- It is a blessing for people with a green thumb as it systematically makes the plants grow and makes them healthier
- Brings back life in the dying plants
- Value for money and effective
- You should need to use it properly before applying it to plants
- It is not an actual plant food, but it is supplemented with plant food to bring vigor in plants
- Might seem to have a stinky smell
Jobe’s Organics 09521 Purpose Fertilizer
For your vegetables, plants, shrubs, and trees, this would be all-rounder fertilizer to boost their growth and make them look succulent out in out. Jobe’s Organics fertilizer is an organic plant growth booster that will provide a lush green texture to leaves and grass, and make your flowering plants beautifully bloom in your lawn.
It includes Biozome, which breaks down material fast to invigorate plant growth. It prevents invasion of pests, makes plants immune to diseases, and provides the strength to withstand extreme conditions like drought or excessive rain.
This granular fertilizer is devoid of harmful chemicals and is safe around pets and children. It smells like fish waste, but the results of using the product are noticeable and praiseworthy. The product is inexpensive and easily available.
- Biodegradable and safe for pets and children
- Acts as a natural pesticide and evades diseases
- Apt for vegetable, flowering and fruit plants
- Shows fast results in a short period
- Boosts vitality and growth in the plants
- Might stink initially until it gets absorbed in the soil
- Direct contact with animals can cause nausea and vomiting due to unprocessed materials
Osmocote 274850 Smart-Release Plant Food
Osmocote Smart-Release Plant Food has all that your lawn needs for proper nourishment and fostering for plants. It comprises 11 essential nutrients that get assimilated directly into the soil, making the roots strong and deeper, and enhancing your plants’ fertility.
This fertilizer provides essential nutrients to your plants by coated shells, which automatically release the nutrients in the soil. The shells become empty after the nutrients are released, and you need to reapply plant food every six months, saving your efforts and time. Periodical sunlight and water contribute to the development of the plant, while Osmocote Plant food makes it healthy and supple.
It is suitable for all plant varieties like saplings or grown trees, edible, and flowering plants, and seasons. You can feed indoor as well as outdoor plants with no apprehension of being burnt, provided you use the product according to the directions mentioned.
- Value for money
- Feeds the plants up to 6 months
- Ease of application
- There is no difference in the growth as it works well in every condition, be it less or excessive watering, harsh or less sunlight, or any weather changes
- Continuous and healthy growth of plants
- Works well with aquarium plants too
- Slow growth and takes time to show results
- Users have alleged that the shells might be made of plastic, which could be a great problem for the soil
- The empty shells remain in the soil, which implies that at the end of the life cycle of the plant, you’ll be left with a useless mess of shells to clear
Worm Castings Organic Fertilizer
An organic fertilizer couldn’t be a better choice for your plants and grass. You only need to feed a handful amount of the fertilizer to keep the plants growing. It feeds the soil by aiding its saviors, i.e., earthworms, to generate minerals and nutrients for your plants.
This organic fertilizer is free from chemical substances and doesn’t let your soil burn and deteriorate from extreme heat and keeps invasive pests and weeds at bay, making your grass grow at its best. It is suitable for any grass type.
One more reason you’d find this product perfect is that it is completely odorless and non-toxic. You can infer it like organic manure with improved properties. It improves the texture of soil through its ball-shaped particles, which strengthens the roots and doesn’t let the water drain easily.
Consider reading the pros and cons of Worm Castings Organic Fertilizer for your convenience-
- Prevents damage from pests
- Fully organic and natural with no change whatsoever
- Better than spraying pesticides
- Prevents flies and diseases
- Promotes growth of microbes and earthworms to sustain the plants
- Breaks down the component nutrients for better absorption
- Might not work with certain plant types like herbs
- Some plants might end up dying after the application
- Expensive than other pesticides and fertilizers
Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed
Hailing from the Scotts, it is a famous fertilizer used by the many American States for feeding their lawn. It guarantees 2x effective and powerful weed removal, including the ones you see and ones you can’t.
It promotes the growth of your lawn by killing dandelions and clearing unnecessary clover, delivering impeccable greenery to your lawn. It has a command over clearing weeds and making plants grow in the most severe conditions like drought. It works even better if the glass is wet before application.
After removing all the invasive weeds and pests, Scotts Turf Builder makes the grass increase in your lawn by deepening and strengthening the grassroots. It also has an app for iOS as well as Android for detailed instructions and application. Make sure you apply it on damp grass. Otherwise, it would cause burning, or there might be no results at all.
- Thickens your lawn with a healthy growth of grass
- Clears out weeds that are not seen with the naked eye
- Good for kicking off dandelions and clover
- Grows deeper grassroots and makes them firm
- Best for the spring season
- Suitable for Zoysia, Fescue, Ryegrass, Centipede, Bahiagrass, Bermuda, and Kentucky Bluegrass
- Not safe for pets and people until it settles in the soil
- You will still have to uproot the tougher weeds yourself for effective growth of the grass
- Does not kill crabgrass
Miracle-Gro Water Soluble Lawn Food
Whatever your lawn needs, is what you will get in this fertilizer. It feeds all grass types and plants. It is enough to make your lawn look healthy and full of grass cover by covering empty patches and growing a dense grass bed by nourishing the soil.
One pack of Miracle-Gro Water Soluble Lawn Food will cover up to 7200 sq feet, which is an impressive aspect of the fertilizer. It’s specially formulated for turfgrass and nourishes the soil with nitrogen and chelated Iron. You can apply it on roots and grass blades. Apart from that, the product is suitable for all grass types, flowering plants, and edible plants.
After continuous use of 2-3 weeks, you will see the results, including a dense grass bed and healthy roots. It can cover 1000 feet in approximately 10-12 minutes. It is preferable to use it with a dispenser, as overfeeding might cause damage.
Overall, the product is worth buying.
- Works well with any type of grass
- Promotes growth and builds a strong cover of grass in just 2-3 weeks
- Enough quantity in affordable price
- Its use can be used for years, and it will keep the growth uniform
- You need a hose and a garden feeder for systematic application
- An excessive application could make the grass brown
- You might need some experience if you are a novice because a slight imbalance in the composition of ingredients could result in negative results.
Scotts Turf Builder Thick’R Lawn Sun and Shade
One reason I have again included a product of the Scotts Brand is its pocket-friendly products guaranteeing impressive results. The summer season usually tests the grass’ patience and strength and ends up making it dry and devoid of vigor. It is the best product to nourish the grass in this season, to avoid burning and drying.
This one is apt for the summer season and makes your grass healthier and thicker even in the scorching heat of summer. It has 3 in one quality, like promoting the growth of the grass, improving soil quality, and clearing out weeds for an aesthetically pleasing texture of your lawn.
Consider using a dispenser for effective application. On effective application, you might witness 50% lawn coverage in a few days, covering empty patches and a thicker grass bed in your lawn.
Its 40-pound bag can cover 4000 sq feet, which is an impressive aspect of using the product.
- Fills empty patches and areas in your lawn
- Improves soil fertility and acts as a fertilizer at the same time
- An effective application can result in 50% thicker lawn
- A small quantity can cover large areas
- Revives dry grass instantly
- Needs a dispenser or a spreader for effective application
- Results may vary depending on the application
- Might demand more water sprinkling for growing grass
Scotts Green Max Lawn Food
It is one of the reliable fertilizers for your lawn and does not demand much time and effort from your side. Its application promises noticeable results, including strong grassroots and dense cover, in just three days. It does that by supplementing your grass with Iron, deficiency of which causes the grass to get brown and weak.
Its dual-action seeds promote the growth of grass and kick out weeds and pests from your lawn. You need to reapply it once in 6-8 weeks and will take care of your lawn without your supervision. Once the application is made, you will witness noticeable results in 3 days.
The reason why it is highly recommended by agrostologists is reliable and fast results without harming the growth in the long run. It nourishes the soil deeply and instigates the growth of the grass, just like an energy booster. If you have empty patches in your lawn, this is one of the best picks for you.
Have a look at the pros and cons of Scotts Green Max Lawn Food for a better idea of the results-
- Shows results in just three days
- Supplements the grass with Iron and kicks out weeds
- Can balance the high pH of the soil
- Effective and value for money
- Revives dry grass and provides a lush green texture to it
- Might not work on dead grass
- It will only work if you clear out the dead grass and clover from the soil
- If spread on sidewalks or concrete areas, it would stain them with a red/rusty color
Advanced Lawn Food Natural Liquid Fertilizer
If you want your lawn to have a thick cover of grass and strengthened grassroots, this fertilizer has got your back. Its 16-4-8 ratio of Nitrogen, Phosphate, and Potash is perfect for balancing the chemical composition of your soil, delivering it a lush-green cover of grass, and covering empty patches or areas of your lawn.
It has balanced NPK nutrients for the overall growth of your grass like strengthening the roots, providing greener texture, and producing delicious grass. A lot of commercial units use it, but it will suit your lawn as well. It will show comparably faster and effective results in a couple of weeks.
It is suitable for any grass type, including Zoysia, Bermuda, St. Augustine, Ryegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Centipede, Fescue, Florida Palmetto, etc.
Here are some pros and cons of using the product-
- Effective Dispensing through convenient spraying system
- Covers bare spots, and evades moss and weeds
- Prevents burning of grass even in extreme heat
- Suitable for any grass type
- Builds a dense cover of grass and strengthens the roots
- The product contains Chlorine that dries the soil after some use and kills the microbes that enhance the quality of the soil
- It might end up showing no difference if the soil in your lawn is already dry
So, these were some of the best fertilizers for your lawn that will render impressive results that are valued for money. Some of them require a dispenser, but it will be worthy of such a necessity to make your lawn look lively and full of vegetation.
All of these products are available on Amazon at affordable prices. Select the products according to your lawn needs and area for better results. Also, make sure you follow the instructions to avoid burning or damage to your grass and plants.